LumberJocks

Drill Press Cabinet #4: Restoring my 1950's Rockwell Drill Press

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by hjt posted 06-22-2018 12:48 AM 1954 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: The Table Top and Drawer Faces Part 4 of Drill Press Cabinet series Part 5: Completion: Cleaned Up and Mounted »

This is one of the many tools I have in my modest little shop that came from my dad’s work shop. Apparently, my dad was not too particular about this piece as there is paint splatter all over it. And the rust is rather heavy in spots from now being in Florida. My focus here is to disassemble and clean up the rust, repaint, and put a better switch in place.

Here are some before photos.

As you can see – lots of rust and paint splattering

At some time the cord and switch must have failed and my dad rigged this up. And as he would always “that’s ok.” The switch is attached to a piece of wood and semi secured to the drill housing by picture frame wire. And the wiring is simple lamp cord. Now mind you – it worked; but….

All the parts and pieces. I was not brave enough to disassemble the drill head, but you will see, I was able to get it fairly clean too.

A close up of the post.

I used a 3” piece of PVC to soak the post over night. I’m using Evapo Rust. I have written three previous reviews on this product. In a word – incredible!

I had to get creative to soak parts of the drill head. Here I’m soaking the chuck and the crank.

Nice and clean. I oil everything down after it has soak and the rust seems to stay away for a very long time.

This shows a great contrast: before and after.

I taped off and gave it a fresh coat of spray paint. I found a flat gray primer at Ace Hardware that is all but a perfect match. I then top coated with a semi gloss clear coat.

Final assembly, new switch and finally… mount to the cabinet in the next posting.

-- Harold



6 comments so far

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

5489 posts in 2408 days


#1 posted 06-22-2018 11:32 AM

Harold
You have very impressive results.
Thats not the wifes pyrex jug I hope !

I am off to read up on your info in the link and to see if we have the Evaop rust product here in Australia

-- Regards Rob

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

5489 posts in 2408 days


#2 posted 06-22-2018 11:42 AM

OK found some, different label layout but the wording is the same so it seems to be the same product

-- Regards Rob

View hjt's profile

hjt

903 posts in 3342 days


#3 posted 06-22-2018 07:07 PM

Yea, the wife will get over it, Rob!!

You will be impressed when you use the product. Evapo Rust is amazing.

-- Harold

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

5489 posts in 2408 days


#4 posted 06-23-2018 10:06 AM

Its lock and load time 1James

-- Regards Rob

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

1117 posts in 3817 days


#5 posted 06-25-2018 02:07 AM

HJT -

I used the same technique on my drill press post with the same results. The best experience I had with Evapo-Rust was with an old Delta stand for a bandsaw – although covered with surface rust, after an overnight soaking in Evapo-Rust, the legs for this stand looked like freshly primed! Eavpo-Rust didn’t touch the paint but took all the surface rust away!

Of course, I went ahead and primed, painted the stand – 7 years later and no rust whatsoever!

+1 on Evapo-Rust (I love everything about it but the name)

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View hjt's profile

hjt

903 posts in 3342 days


#6 posted 06-25-2018 06:30 PM

Mr Engineer – I’ve too have never had evopo rust damage any painted surface.

-- Harold

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com