A better grip....

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by lilredweldingrod posted 11-09-2010 06:32 PM 3005 views 1 time favorited 30 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View lilredweldingrod's profile


2496 posts in 3312 days

11-09-2010 06:32 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question disabled tool grips clamps

I’m having a problem gripping the slick wooden handles on my clamps. This arthritis is killing my grip. With all the grand kids and bicycles, I cut the old tubes and slipped them over the handles. This worked pretty good until the rubber split and they fell off. lol
I seem to remember years ago there was a liquid that you could dip your tool handles in and get a rubberized grip area on pliers etc. Does anyone know about something like this?
Thanks guys and gals. Rand

30 replies so far

View dbhost's profile


5767 posts in 3438 days

#1 posted 11-09-2010 06:50 PM

The stuff you are asking about is called “Plasti Dip” and it comes in a brush on / dip in can, or an aerosol. The spray doesn’t work all that well… Just do a search on Amazon for Plasti Dip, there are a bunch of varieties. The hard part for you will be to keep the stuff off of the rest of the clamp while it cures. I would suggest masking that off, and then dipping, hanging to dry. I have used this in years past to recoat tool handles with great success.

If you can manage it, you might try drilling the end of the handle, and epoxying in a lag bolt. to the end, that way you can use a socket / ratchet rig to loosen / tighten the clamp. I recall Wood Magazine had a tip about that a couple of years ago…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

View sgtsprout's profile


71 posts in 2976 days

#2 posted 11-09-2010 06:51 PM

I found something I seen awhile back. I have used the spray paint version and that did not work too well. I was expected a more rubbery substance. I did not try the dip whcih I imahgine would be much better. Anyway I hope someone can comment or give some type of review. There may be another product out there as well.

A possible option are actual handles as you tried. They might get too pricy though.

I am not affliated with any of these companies just did a quick search and this is what came up.

-- "There are no gains without pains." -Benjamin Franklin

View CharlieM1958's profile


16281 posts in 4424 days

#3 posted 11-09-2010 06:56 PM

Their website says it is available at Ace hardware stores.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 3640 days

#4 posted 11-09-2010 06:57 PM

Also look on Amazon

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10334 posts in 4258 days

#5 posted 11-09-2010 07:00 PM

Hey Rand…

You know that special rubber mat stuff you can Route on?
The stuff that holds the piece in one place!

I usually have a piece of it handy… Just wrap a corner around the clamp and Turn It… no pain or strain!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

View racerglen's profile


3112 posts in 2986 days

#6 posted 11-09-2010 07:02 PM

Another answer I’ve seen is to take a wood gouge and cut groves in the handles length ways
providing a better grip.. or a wood plane could make flats as well.

-- Glen, B.C. Canada

View JJohnston's profile


1622 posts in 3497 days

#7 posted 11-09-2010 07:13 PM

Other possibilities:

Turn some new handles with bigger diameter – this will give you more leverage/more torque.

Cut wrench flats into the handles and use a big crescent wrench.

Drill cross-holes thru the handles and use a long steel pin for leverage.

-- "A man may conduct himself well in both adversity and good fortune, but if you want to test his character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

4251 posts in 3370 days

#8 posted 11-09-2010 07:16 PM

To second what others have said, don’t use the spray Plasti-Dip, you need the liquid, and you actually dip the whole handle in it. I did that for some hold downs, although I haven’t abused them yet…..........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

11079 posts in 3634 days

#9 posted 11-09-2010 07:52 PM

Hey Rand,

Take a look here. GripWrap

-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

View traupmann's profile


124 posts in 2993 days

#10 posted 11-09-2010 08:04 PM

I bought some at Home Depot called Plastic Dip. I coated several things—took a couple of dips to get a usable coat, but it worked.

-- chas -- looking for Serta sponsorship to go Pro...

View rance's profile


4266 posts in 3366 days

#11 posted 11-09-2010 08:10 PM

Hockey Stick Tape. This idea comes from Rob Cosman. He swears by it.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View lilredweldingrod's profile


2496 posts in 3312 days

#12 posted 11-09-2010 08:16 PM

WOW! Talk about, “Ask and you shall receive.”! Thanks and that was fast! I know it is a well worn cliche, but you guys are the best. Thanks again, Rand

PS I have info coming and even samples! Thanks again.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

4251 posts in 3370 days

#13 posted 11-09-2010 08:21 PM

Both the GripWrap and the hockeystick tape sound like good solutions, probably cheaper than Plasti Dip, but not as pretty. You into pretty?..............(-:


-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View lilredweldingrod's profile


2496 posts in 3312 days

#14 posted 11-09-2010 08:59 PM

Jim, Am I into “pretty? Evidently you haven’t noticed how gorgeous I am. lol I’m a legend in my own mind.
When I inquired of some of the suggestions I received here, they were offering samples, so they are on the way.
I really like the hockey stick tape idea. I’ll run over to Big 5 Sporting Goods and see what they have.

And Joe I need a couple of those pads anyway.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions. I repeat, YOU ARE THE BEST. Rand

View Dennisgrosen's profile


10880 posts in 3321 days

#15 posted 11-09-2010 09:22 PM

drill a hole and use a dovel
or make the last ½inch square and make a wrench with a square hole out of baltic birc plywood
make five of them then there shuold be a chance to find one when needed…lol

Take care

showing 1 through 15 of 30 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics